We have seen some cases with newer versions of MacOS X (10.14 Mojave and later) where file locks on Microsoft Office documents are held even after the file is closed. An example of this scenario is as follows:
- User A on computer A opens a Word file on the CacheDrive.
- User A makes some modifications, saves the file, then closes the file.
- User B on computer B attempts to open the same Word file.
- User B sees an error message about not being able to open the file. This is due to the file lock still held by User A.
- In some instances, the lock will clear itself after a period of time (about 10 minutes).
- Try disconnecting from the share via Finder.