We recommend using Windows File Explorer (Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 or later) or Robocopy (Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 or later) for copying large amounts of data between two shares on the same CacheDrive. These options support server side copying, which means the data transfer can happen directly on the server without being transferred to the client first).
To perform the copy using Windows Explorer:
- Connect to both shares using File Explorer (or optionally map them as two network drives).
- Right-click on the source folder and select Copy.
- Go to the destination File Explorer window and click Paste.
To perform the copy using Robocopy:
- Connect to both shares using File Explorer (or optionally map them as two network drives). You can also use the "net use" command from PowerShell:
net use z: \\$my_hostname\$my_share
Replace $my_hostname with the hostname and $my_share with the share name.
- Use robocopy from PowerShell to perform the copy:
robocopy z: y:
- For more information on the available Robocopy options, please see the documentation:
If the source directory is very large, we suggest doing a trial run with a smaller directory until you are satisfied with the results of the options selected.