Sometimes, it may be necessary to manually force the CacheDrive to download specific files, folders, or even shares to the cache.
Common use cases:
- If you need to copy a series of large files from the CacheDrive to your PC, the copy may timeout if the files need to be fetched from the cloud.
- Actively used project folders can be downloaded to the cache for immediate use without needing to go to the cloud.
- Remote or home offices with limited Internet bandwidth can fetch files overnight in preparation for future use.
Things to keep in mind:
- Entire folders and shares can be fetched, which can result in a huge amount of data being pulled from the cloud. This can result in unexpectedly large egress fees.
- If the amount of data fetched is larger than the usable cache space, some of the fetched data will be cached out to make room for the other fetched data, essentially wasting time and egress charges.
- Fetching large amounts of data from the cloud can use up a significant amount of resources (such as bandwidth, storage space for thin-provisioned VMs, etc.)
- Currently, manual fetches cannot be cancelled by the user. Contact technical support for assistance.
Manual Download Using Windows
- Using Windows File Explorer, navigate to the file or folder in the CacheDrive share.
- Right click on the file or folder, then select "Always available offline". This will force the CacheDrive to download the file or folder for local use.
- Once the download is completed, uncheck the "Always available offline" option. The files will remain in cache until it is cached out manually or due to low available cache space.
Manual Download Using MCM
- Go to MCM, then click Files.
- Navigate to the files or folder.
- Select a folder or one or more files.
- Click Manage Caching.
- Select a gateway, then click Check.
- Select the files manually or use the filter options. If you selected a folder in step 3, you can only manage caching for the entire folder.
- Click Fetch to force the CacheDrive to download the files into the local cache. Click Cache Out to remove the files from the cache.
To see the fetch progress, click on Devices, then expand the section for your gateway.