The V200 installation tutorial video can be found here:
The V200 is a CacheDrive running in a VM under ESXi.
Each CacheDrive virtual machine image is a custom OVA file with a unique identifier. The virtual machine runs on VMWare ESXi Server and contains a bootable disk image.
- ESXi 6.5 (vmx-13)
The virtual hardware requirement for the V200. If you have an older version of ESXi, please Contact Support.
- SATA Controller
The data disk needs to be attached to an SATA controller.
- Minimum Disk Space: 250GB
The minimum disk space for the VM is 250GB. We recommend at least 500GB per CacheDrive (1 TB preferred).
- EFI Boot Mode
EFI boot mode is required.
- DHCP Server
CacheDrives use DHCP to obtain an IP Address. You can reserve the IP Address once a lease is established on your DHCP server.
To begin the installation process, download your custom OVA file and save it to a computer that has access to your ESXi server.
There are 3 steps to installing your V200:
- Create the Virtual Machine with a large enough disk size for the CacheDrive.
- Configure and start up the VM.
- Add the CacheDrive to your account.
Note: Please check the settings carefully. An incorrect setting may not prevent the virtual machine from starting, but it will prevent the CacheDrive from operating properly.
1. Create the Virtual Machine
- Login to your VMWare ESXi Manager.
- Click "Create or register a virtual machine".
- In the New Virtual Machine window, choose "Deploy a virtual machine from an OVF or OVA file".
- In the "Select OVF and VMDK files" menu, enter the VM name and select the downloaded OVA file.
- Proceed through the remaining steps and click "Finish" at the "Ready to complete" screen.
- After deploying the OVA file, the virtual machine will start automatically.
2. Configure the Virtual Machine
Note: Do not install "VMWare" Tools for the V200 virtual machine.
Once the virtual machine is deployed, configure it as follows:
- Power off the virtual machine by clicking "Power off".
- Add the hard disk(s). V200 supports single-disk installations, V200 Pro support single and two-disk installations.
Click Add hard disk, to add disk(s).
For single-disk installations, add one disk that will hold both the OS and data volumes. The larger the disk, the larger the amount of data that can be cached. We recommend a disk size of at least 500 GB (1 TB preferred).
For two-disk installations, add one disk for the OS and a larger disk for the data. We recommend using at least 64GB of the fastest storage available for the OS disk to maximize database performance. The data disk will be used for the cache and can use slower storage if desired.
OS and volume disks can be expanded later if required.
Note: Make sure the Virtual Device Node is set to SATA Controller and pick an appropriate SATA node.
- Set the boot mode.
Make sure that EFI firmware is selected in the Boot Options section.
Choose the "VM Options" tab.
Expand the Boot Options and choose Firmware.
- Click Save.
Start the Virtual Machine to complete the configuration process.
3. Add the CacheDrive to Your Account
There are two ways to add your CacheDrive to your account:
- Add a CacheDrive to a new account
- Add a CacheDrive to an existing account
Add a CacheDrive to a New Account
For information on how to add a CacheDrive to a new account, please refer to the article Morro Account Sign Up.
Add a CacheDrive to an Existing Account
For information on how to add a CacheDrive to an existing account, please refer to the article Add Gateway (CacheDrive).
After adding the drive, the system will show that there is an invalid disk attached. Follow the final steps to complete the VM installation process.
After adding the virtual CacheDrive to your account, remove the boot disk provided by Morro Data.
Power down the VM.
Select your VM and click Edit.
Choose Hard Disk 1 and click the X icon on the right (the drive size is 512MB).
Check the box "Delete files from datastore".
Once the process is completed, power on the VM.